Welcome

Hello, welcome to my blog! Let me introduce myself, my name is Heather; I am a wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, and more! I hope you enjoy my rambly thoughts about life.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

It's World Breastfeeding Week...or Month...or something like that





I am way to lazy right now to go off and check to see which one it is, but the point of my post remains the same.  It is a time to educate others on and to promote the practice of breastfeeding around the world!

To celebrate, I thought I'd share my own history with breastfeeding.  My own mother nursed all 5 of her children when it was far less popular to do so-so I have always been very comfortable with the concept.  In fact, when I was pregnant with my oldest son Peyton, it didn't occur to me to do anything else because it just seemed the automatic thing in my mind.  I was actually a little taken back at all of the literature out there designed talking about pros and cons and choices and being informed and even encouraging me that it was ok to not breastfeed if I didn't want to, I mean, who wouldn't want to right?  6 and 4 babies later, I've learned a lot.  It wasn't always easy, my milk took a very long time to come in with Peyton, and I had very cracked nipples-thank GOD for an understanding pediatrician who figured it out and gave me that shield.  On top of that I was working full time with him, and so lost my milk when he was 5 months.  After that though, I have nursed each baby longer and longer periods of time, and who knows how long I will go with Clara!  And now for some general impressions:

People can be really weird about this stuff-I totally get that not everyone had the advantages I did.  I was surrounded by supportive people from day one, my mother, my husband, my friends, and my in-laws were all cheering me on and taking it as natural that I would nurse my babies.  If someone doesn't have the education, support, or understanding I did then breastfeeding will not seem like the natural or even feasible choice.  Furthermore there are medical conditions that can get in the way.  However, anyone who thinks it's in any way sexual, gross, weird, unnatural, undesirable or inferior need to get a clue.  Seriously people-grow up!

People can be weird about OTHER people doing it- ?!?!?!?!  Really people?  It takes a really un-boundaried and nosy person to be offended to see a mother nursing a baby.  LOOK AWAY PEOPLE, LOOK AWAY!

LLL ROCKS!  -La Leche League, enough said :)

Ahhh, prolactin- I cannot tell you how many times I've been beyond frustrated with other kids or life or whatever and sat down to nurse a baby and felt my cares just melt away while I snuggled my precious babe. <3 <3 <3

Co-sleeping- In my opinion, co-sleeping should be every new parents biggest survival tool, but beyond the rest benefits, some of my most cherished memories are snuggling in bed at night nursing a sleeping baby in the quiet stillness of pre-dawn hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment